Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Salvatore Malatesta - Mr. Coffee Meister

And at St. Ali I met up with Salvatore. A passionate Coffee Commandante. We had an instant connection. He is the major-domo of Melbourne coffee, and a great chap. The genuine article. He had all these amazing, absofuckinglutely wonderful coffee 'deux et machina' devices. This kind of passion I can totally relate to. We spoke of a plan on doing a documentary on coffee.
Here's Salvatore...

This seemingly simple device delivers an expresso cupful of coffee liquor over a 6 hour period.
I tried some, I can swear I levitated. I'm hooked, I want more......

And here's another Heath Robinson-ish coffee device - this time an inverted percolator.. If it looks like Max is rolling his eyes, it's because he is...

And this is the business end of Australia's first 'micro roaster' - enabling boutique sized 50gm. loads of coffee beans for custom roasting. Imagine 50 gm! I mean the usual roasting loads are 50 Kg. Is this mechanical coffee/passion/love, or what?

Here are some images of the interior of the 'roasting' side of St. Ali.

No comments: