Monday, July 23, 2007

viral haemorrhagic fever

viral haemorrhagic fever. It sounds oh so lethal. It is. That's Dengue Fever for you. I thought I had it, bodyaches and a splitting head (too much wine) - and I hurried over to Dr. John (not the rapper..) who did his usual 'rest & plenty of fluids' routine. I didn't have it. Hooray! I AM being sane about it however, lots of mosquito repellant - 'yeeecch' say Mo & the girls, but y'know what, it's a one-way slide into hell with Dengue. All your organs leaking, bleeding from the gums and even from your eyes (I know, I know real sci-fi horror stuff!). So I read up about it on Wikipedia, and it's no walk in the park - transmitted by the Aedes Aegypti mosquito. Whatever, I'm staying away from that sucker.
A TEM micrograph showing Dengue virus.
The Aedes Aegypti

No comments: