Thursday, August 13, 2009

Habla en es Espanol?

Just by chance, the other night I caught one of my favorite movies - 'Carmen' by Carlos Saura, one of my favorite directors. It's just sheer visual thrill, and storytelling in it's finest form. Don't know what it is, but I have to say that of the top most favorite directors of all time, 5 of them are Spanish - Luis Buñuel, Carlos Saura, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Guillermo del Toro & Pedro Almodóvar Caballero. I mean that's Five! Fuckadoodledoo. Hmmmm, gotta give that some thought. It IS all about storytelling, and I am a slave to that... Not always neat and tidy and pretty and all that - but every one of their films are powerful, gritty, painfully intense and sheer pleasure. ( I very briefly met Buñuel in Mexico City in '74, he was quite deaf, living in a spartan, hermetic setting - refusing to communicate and very distant, but it left an impression). After that, I remember frequenting a bar/restaurant near Zona Rosa and Pederegal de San Angel called 'Maison del Perro Andaluz', after his famed surreal/dadaist movie 'El Perro Andaluz' - The Andalusian Dog. I think I'm getting wound up for my own filmic journey...

No comments: