Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Finlay Alley & The State Library

Both are works of art...
So my clued-in, intensely vicarious and altogether well-informed informant - Kapil decided to turn me onto this little tucked-away alley way - Finlay Alley. I am a sort of graffiti voyeur, though I don't altogether agree with the term graffiti - it really is wall art. Sort of muralistas of the masses. Popular folk expression. Whatever, I love it. Truly passionate, free-form, don't-give-a-damn expression. My heroes have always been the big muralists. Diego Rivera, Jose Clemente Orozco, Rufino Arellanes Tamayo, David Alfaro Siqueiros, and my dad! (Yup, my dad. He was a hugely successful filmmaker, but he actually started his creative path as a muralist and then dean at the JJ School of Art in Bombay).
So Kapil ani I wandered into this incredibly windy part of Melbourne inner-city, and in the midst of this commercial whirl, unbelievable......




And here is Kapil, shaking in his pants in front of this pacman-like character...





























After The Alley, we had to get back to the counting-down parking meter, a great Korean lunch in a tiny joint, where the waitress answered all our queries with a hapless "ok", I mean please spare me.. 'Er, excuse me, do you think you could please bend over, so I can give you a swift kick in your pants?' Of course, the reply - "OK'.
Anyway the State Library (off LaTrobe St.) is a wonderful place and a great space.
I almost didn't want to get any images of the library. It was kind of special. I'll be back. This time though I got a whole lot of these faceless white marble heads of chaps who must've been someone or important at some time or the other.
We saw an amazing exhibition of photographs, by a photographer - R Ian Lloyd. Absolutely amazing. I will take Mara this weekend to go over it again....











No comments: