Tuesday, March 10, 2009

With Mara at The State Library

I took Mara to see the Bugatti exhibition. (My second visit, so I uploaded some more images to the earlier set). After that, we went over to the State Library. That was a grand experience for her (and for me!). We had lunch at Mr. Tulk and went to see the photograph exhibition. A documentary-look at the various famous Australian artists in their own personal studio space. No photography permitted there, but I was glad in a way. Every image was pretty spectacular, and there were so many of them. There's no way I could've even tried to do them justice....
After that we went onto find the 'Great Dome" the fabled reading room. It was every bit as grand as I had been told, and which I had missed on my earlier visit. This enormous space has this cathedral-like grandeur and is a wonderful space to 'get away' and have a bit of space and thinking room. What was equally magical was the exhibition that happens on the several floors ringed around this huge vaulted space (with great views overlooking the actual reading space). Exhibited were amazing works (original publications) of Dante's 'Inferno', a page from the Gutenberg Bible, Homer's Iliad, other contemporary stuff, some nostalgia some kitsch, and also an interactive display showing a panoramic 360° views of Melbourne, some views dating from the 17th century..
In the reading room, all the tables radiate out from a central hub. Well worn wood with a wonderful patina, dark green leaded glass lamps giving off that warm incandescent glow, really very cosy....















No comments: